I enjoyed doing this so much last week that I thought I’d do it again! The funny thing about menu planning is that I find it tremendously helpful, but I don’t always follow my own menus. For example, last week we had a change of plans and ended up having company for supper on Friday night instead of Saturday night. This meant that my plan to have leftover or takeout or go out to eat changed, and instead we had what I had planned to have on Thurday night: creamy chicken and black bean enchiladas , Mexican rice, plus Mexican cornbread, pintos, homemade cheese dip (something like this), and 4 layer chocolate dessert. That meant on Thursday night we had breaded tilapia (frozen), pintos, cornbread, and Zatarains seasoned rice of some variety. Flexibility!
This week will go something like this:
- Monday–chicken stew, cornbread, crackers, cheese. I made this on Saturday night and mostly followed the linked recipe. Chicken stew is a southern staple for sure, but this recipe is not really like the kind I grew up on. I’m used to a lot more vegetables! We like it, though, for a change.
- Tuesday–bookclub for me; everyone else eat with Nana
- Wednesday–breakfast foods for supper (bacon, eggs, toast or pancakes) or eat out if I’m particularly pooped
- Thursday–crockpot porkchops, roasted broccoli, potatoes of some kind (?), English peas (frozen), cornbread. This is Lulu’s favorite pork chop recipe!
- Friday–company supper again! — baked spaghetti (I usually use my homemade spaghetti sauce from the freezer), bread, salad, and dessert as linked above
- Saturday–who knows? Sometimes we eat with my family. I usually buy groceries on Saturdays, so I’ll have a new plan percolating in my brain by then, too.
What’s cookin’ this week at your house?