Can you believe it? Two posts in two days!
Here are a few of my favorite things from the past few weeks:
1. My mother and mother-in-law. My mother has been at my house every day that someone else (Steady Eddie or Nana) wasn’t since Benny was born. She has come early and stayed late. She has done all of the DLM wrangling, not to mention cooked several meals, taken care of laundry, and cleaned the floors. A girl could get used to this!
My mother-in-law (Nana) has taken the three big kids off our hands for quite a few evenings after she has had a busy day at work. She also took off work a half day one day to go with me to take Benny to the pediatrician. She came and stayed with me and Benny while Steady Eddie and the big kids went to AWANA. She has folded lots of laundry.
I am so very, very blessed to live close to these precious women!
2. Friends. I haven’t cooked an actual meal all on my own yet thanks to my mother, Nana, and our friends from CC. These ladies have outdone themselves! Did I mention a girl could get used to this?
3. My big kids. Really, so far this transition has been far less difficult than I imagined, at least as far as the kids are concerned. (My getting it all figured out has been a whole ‘nother story!) The girls have been troupers, and the DLM has provided us with enough laughs through his entertaining observations about baby brother (particularly in regard to the way Benny gets his nourishment!) to make up for the rough patches.
One of the bouquets the girls brought me when we first came home from the hospital
4. Inspiration. I haven’t been reading much, but I have been exploring some new blogs that excite my latent desire to decorate and organize my home. I find that when I’m in the thick of homeschooling, I don’t have the mental energy to do much else. Add pregnancy to that, and my creativity has been nonexistent. Hours spent nursing Benny and wifi internet access on my iPad has yielded lots of home inspiration this week, though, and a break from school has given me the mental space I need to dream. Here are a few of my favorite home decor blogs:
What are some of your favorite online places to go for home decor and organization inspiration?
Besides looking at a whole bunch of lovely rooms and furniture, I’ve actually done a bit of decorating this week. I’m a little hesitant to share this because a.) it’s not quite “there” yet, but it’s probably as “there” as I’ll ever get it and b.) I’m breaking my own rule about posting pictures of my children on my blog, but since they’re all newborns here I figure in a year it won’t matter anyway. I’ve wanted a gallery wall in my home for a long time, and while this isn’t exactly what I had in mind (that’s for another wall), I do like how these big Ikea frames turned out. We had no idea we’d be adding a fourth child to our family when I bought these frames (see, I told you, I’m slooooooooow), but didn’t it work out nicely? ;-) I had to stick cardstock behind the pictures because I couldn’t enlarge them all to be 11.5″ x 11.5″.
What do you think?
5. A sweet, sweet newborn. I have to say that I have a love/hate relationship with this phase of life. (I hate to say it that way because it sounds bad; I hope you understand.) I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE having a newborn baby. They are so very sweet. There’s nothing like the little sounds they make, and tell me–is there anything sweeter than a newborn’s foot?
Even a blurry foot is sweet. . .
However, I also find this time personally challenging because I’m a do-er, and I haven’t been able to do much in a long time. I’m rarin’ to go, and yet, I can’t. I’m thankful, though, that I have such a sweet hindrance. :-)
Benny has been such a good baby so far. He’s the most predictable newborn I’ve had–he wakes up 3-4 times a night, but it’s always spaced out in about 2 to 2 1/2 hour intervals. Of course, some of this predictability might have to do with the fact that he’s our fourth, so we don’t expect it to be easy. ;-) Steady Eddie and I take turns at night–I’ll feed Benny, then Steady Eddie will sit up with him for a bit if he’s not ready to go back to sleep. (Maybe that means that Steady Eddie should be my #5. :-) ) Benny is quite the eater, too. Yesterday at his two week check up, we learned that he gained 9 ounces in 9 days. Wow! The doctor jokingly asked me if I was feeding him pure cream. ;-) Nope. He just likes to eat and had it all figured out from the first time he nursed. For that I am thankful!
So. . . .I have a lot to be thankful for. I still don’t have it all figured out, and honestly, the thought of being on my own next week and trying to get started back to schooling (whenever that happens–I’m still not sure we’re really ready yet) is a bit unnerving, but I’m depending on a Philippians 4:13 promise.
How was your week?